Bright but blustery Driffields’ Kelleythorpe ground provided nearly perfect playing conditions for this Regional 1 North -East clash. With at least eight of the 1st team squad unavailable there was understandable anxiety among the travelling supporters. 

The early exchanges did nothing to allay these fears, the home side put some slick, sustained moves together whilst the Greens, with forward passes and knock ons seemed to be repeating last weeks weaknesses. Resulting Driffield pressure produced two penalties in the first quarter that full back Kalani Grant converted for a six point lead.

However this same player, who had looked so impressive until this point, failed to secure an up and under launched by Green’s fly half Connor Brewster. The spilled ball fell to Josh Lugsden who outpaced the cover to score an unconverted try.  

Scunthorpe were now turning the game. Si Fisher stealing ball in home line outs and the resolute visitors defence now making the home sides attack look less threatening. This in spite of some refereeing decisions that, from a visitors point of view seemed harsh.

After some good attacking play that saw the Driffield tight head Bryce McKinnon yellow carded,  a penalty and touch kick by Brewster resulted in a well executed catch and drive enabling Will Dale to score a try that Brewster converted.

AS the half approached its end the home side came back into the game and when Will Robinson saw yellow for an infringement at a ruck the pressure increased. However, it seemed that the Greens would see out the half as the 40 minutes were up. This was not to be. In the 47th minute Tom Somersby, the Driffield scrum half, finished the move to give his side a try, converted by Kalani Grant so that his side led 13-12 at half time.

The home team started the second half well and put some good moves together. The Scunthorpe defence held out well but the pressure only increased when Driffield were restored to 15 men. A series of well sustained wing to wing moves finally put winger Alex Rowbottom in for a try in the corner.

Mintes later another home side try seemed inevitable when they broke clear but the speeding Rory Rendall-Tyrell made a spectacular try saving tackle-only to be injured by a high ‘clean out’ as he ‘jackalled’ with only a penalty given.

Lewis Talbot was the next Scunthorpe player to show great skill. He kicked a loose ball through the home defence to gather and touch down, bringing the score to 18-17. After resisting another Driffield attack the Greens hit back and another good driving maul produced a penalty that Connor Brewster converted to put the visitors ahead with ten minutes to go. Alas, for the Greens, in defending the next attack Will Robinson high tackled. This time the referee gave a penalty and showed him a second yellow card, which resulted in a red.

The home side attacked and Alex Rowbottom scored a try that was almost a carbon copy of his previous effort.

In spite of another spectacular try saving tackle by the ever improving Lewis Talbott, further Drifffield pressure resulted in a converted try by substitute James Short  to make the final score 30-20

On the minus side for the Greens we got no points and we again failed to please the referee. On the plus side our club, even with eight of the 1st team squad unavailable, was able to field a good side, showing we have more strength in depth than last season, with the younger players improving with every game. This was on a day that we also fielded a second and third XV and a new ‘under 20’ Development side.