It was a very frustrating afternoon at North Dean, home of Heath RUFC when yet again Scunthorpe were in with a chance of taking the points off the top four team from Halifax. Young academy star Jack Murr, nephew of the evergreen skipper of the day Tom Foster, made an excellent debut – a potential green giant of the future. 

It was quite a dull affair with the match official not letting the play flow leaving both sides irritated and eventually taking it out on each other off the ball. It was the visitors who took the initiative in the first half with some lively attacking play aided by the home side’s ill-discipline. Within the first five minutes The Greens had a scoring opportunity after the third Heath penalty. From the ensuing catch and drive line out Scunthorpe were unable to convert the territory into points – as of times before. However, their dominance paid off ten minutes later when Will Robinson slotted over a three pointer. Gradually Heath clawed their way back into the game. This time it was Scunthorpe who conceded the penalty. The Heath fly half put the ball in the corner and from the line out it looked very much like The Greens had defended well enough to stem the tide however the referee deemed the act illegal and gave Heath an easy chance in front of the posts from Ezra Hinchliffe – 3-3. Heath were now on a roll and from a five metres scrum their pack drove hard, all the No8 had to do was pick up the ball and fall over the line. However, he messed up, the ball went loose and the rampaging defenders chased the ball to the halfway line relieving the pressure. From another penalty the West Yorkshire outfit tried again from a catch and drive, yet again the defence held fast. Then just before half time Heath slotted over a second penalty from 40 metres to lead 6-3 at the break.

Scunthorpe kicked off and chased the ball forcing an error and subsequent penalty. A quick tap caught the defence off guard but as the pack drove over the ball was held up and Heath were let off with a 5metre scrum. Another opportunity came knocking as Tom Foster punted a penalty to with five, this time the line was not straight, and the chance was gone. To rub it in Heath responded with a try of their own which was somewhat fortuitous. The Greens were defending well, going through the phases to exit the 22 when a high tackle on Jack Brunt was missed by the referee and he gave a scrum to Heath which they converted into 7 points 13-3. Scunthorpe were not done by any means, and they came back again knocking on the door. Unfortunately, two clear cut chances went begging and that cost them the game. Will Robinson tried to rescue a losing point from a penalty, but sod’s law saw it drifting the wrong side of the upright.

Heath were by no means at their best and Tim Robinson’s brave souls could not take advantage of their opponents poor form which is a pity as the teams around them at the foot of the table all won. Next week Heslam Park welcomes Ilkley to a crucial game that Scunthorpe really must get some points from.